My Minions

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Dreaded C-Word!

No not the one you are thinking about...sinner.

C-section. (Might not want to read this one Jason!)

The super scary word almost every pregnant woman runs screaming away from! Not me. I went screaming towards it and clung to that plan with every fiber of my being. Everyone has reasons for wanting their particular birth plan. It's all about what's in your comfort zone at a very UNcomfortable time in your life while preparing for a very UNcomfortable event. I've met many women who act like a c-section is the end of the world. Then you have women like me that are scared to death of pushing or have some other reason for not wanting to do it the "old-fashioned way". So let me try to appease some fears that some may have.


  1. It's more dangerous! That may be true...for some people. But you know what? So is vaginal childbirth...for some people. As with anything else, you have to work with your doctor and also be your own advocate. There are horror stories any which way you go! For your own sanity it's better to not listen to any of them!

  2. It's more painful! Again for some people! I've met a woman who has had 3 children, the first vaginally and the last two were c-sections. She said the first delivery was the worst experience of her life and the last two were wonderful. I needed to hear that story because at the time I was waivering on my decision and thinking maybe I needed to tough it out and give the old "heave-ho" a try. But I stuck with my guns and the pain afterwards was minimal in my opinion. Furthermore, if you're worried about the pain from a c-section, google 4th degree tear and tell me which you think is more painful!


  3. You get left with a big ugly scar. First off, it's not that big. Second, how many of you were planning on posing nude at anytime in your life? Because that's the only way you'd see it. Thirdly, if you are planning on posing nude...haven't you heard of airbrushing?! Once again if you're worried about a scar, google 4th degree tear and tell me what kind of scars you think that'll leave...then google the cost of vaginal rejuvenation...lol!


  4. You're not a REAL woman unless you crap a baby out your vag! Really? Wanna come a little closer and check? And then...THROATPUNCH! To whoever has uttered those ridculous words ever, get over yourself! Your vagina is not the road to El Dorado paved with gold! It doesn't matter if the kid comes out of a natural orifice or a man-made one as long as he/she comes out safely! FYI, Chris has never had any issues with me not being a "real woman", in fact I think he was happy with my decision. Don't be gross...not just because I won't be needing rejuvenation. More because he didn't have to go through the waiting game with me. I can handle the pain, the wait, but not Chris sitting quietly in the corner scared out of his mind for me and his anxiety getting worse with each contraction. He was very happy with my decision.


  5. A C-Section is the easy way out. Sure was...for me. For others...not so much. Google emergency c-section and longitudinal incision.


  6. It's just not in my birth plan. Let me say this and be perfectly clear. Birth plans are bull shit. With all due respect of course. The plan is to get the baby out safely and mom through birth safely. You want a certain song played when the baby is born, ok fine. You want to give birth standing on one leg while juggling bowling pins on fire...not gonna happen get over it. I wanted a c-section (complete with lots of lovely drugs) but what if I went into a fast labor at home and delivered either at home or in an ambulance? Well I'll tell you wouldn't have happened, I wouldn't have been able to just cross my legs and wait until I got to the hospital and Dr. Staud got there and scrubbed in for surgery! When you get so wrapped up in keeping control over something you have no control over, you get a bad experience at best and a tragic experience at worst. See article below. http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/parents-must-bear-some-blame-in-babys-death/2011/05/16/AFfcgv5G_story.html

Ok I'm stepping off my high horse now. This was meant to bring a little common sense to the arguement. I have no problem with vaginal birth and obviously no problem with c-sections. The whole point is to make sure the baby is born safely and the mother also comes out of the situation safely. So let's all stop with the judgement (yes even hard for me) and sing kumbayah as we all birth our babies according to our own respective wishes and pray for safety during this miracle!


Quote of the Blog: "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry." -Robert Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment